Counselling starts by booking your initial session. This initial session is commonly called an “assessment” or “intake” session when you and your counsellor will spend time discussing the following:
- What can be expected from counselling in terms of confidentiality, payment, and scheduling.
- Your previous experiences doing counselling including what worked and didn’t work for you.
- A thorough exploration of your current challenges, thoughts, and feelings and how they impact your day-to-day life.
- A history of your current concerns and a brief overview of your family background.
- An exploration as to why you might be feeling or behaving the way you do.
- What we can do in counselling to help you start feeling better and improve your situation.
- Any questions or concerns you might have about the process.