All information shared in a counselling session is private and confidential except in the following instances:
- There is a risk of imminent danger to an identifiable third party or to self.
- There is suspicion of child abuse or neglect.
- A disclosure is ordered by a court.
- There is reasonable belief that a health professional is guilty of sexual abuse.
- There is reasonable belief that abuse or neglect of residents living in Long-Term Care Facilities or Retirement Homes is taking place.
- There is a need to share information with the College of Psychologists of Ontario or the College of Registered Psychotherapists of Ontario or the the Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers for supervision or auditing purposes.